10 April 2014

Iryu Review

Title: Iryu
AKA: Dragon Medical Team / Dragon Team
Genre: Medical
Episodes: 11
Broadcast period: 2006-Apr to 2006-Jun
Cast: Sakaguchi Kenji, Inamori Izumi, Mizukawa Asami and Koike Teppei.

After spending some years in refugee camps as a MSAP doctor Asada Ryutaro (Sakaguchi Kenji) returns to Japan and lives life drinking and doing nothing. Having given up on medicine, Asada who was once known as a genius surgeon, he cannot seem to find a purpose in his life, until he meets Kato Akira (Inamori Izumi). Kato had heard about him when she was in MSAP herself and had witnessed one of his surgeries, so she had decided to bring him to Meishii University hospital and make him the head of the Batista team, so she can start writing her thesis about the surgery.
Interested Asada decides to go and see the hospital for himself, but is repulsed by the system the hospital is having. Patients without insurance are turned down, patients with hard surgeries are moved to other hospitals, drugs with severe side effects are used on dying patients, and no matter whether or not the patient is to die, no one is allowed to defy the people above them.
With the persuasion and constant reminder that he will be the one deciding his Batista team, Asada agrees and the battle for the Team Dragon starts…

Another franchise for me, and yes I love them.
I have to say I liked it more than I expected and I think that is because of the visual of the surgeries. Kind of makes me believe that they are actually doing real surgery, and they are making me understand how and why as well. Though I found it funny that a ‘yankee-ish’ character was a genius doctor, I was surprised to see that I liked it a lot. But this drama has made me realize one thing: I do not want to get sick, in any way. Even if I do understand that the idea is a group of doctors fighting for their patients against the money driven hospitals, I feel bad knowing that there actually are patients who are not treated due to the lack of success rate.
On the other hand I love how the team is made, and how good they are together, even if it is a bit preposterous to have a “super team” like that.
All in all I enjoyed it, and I think you should give it a shot if you haven’t got anything on your plate.

☆☆☆☆ / 4 out of 5 stars

♥♥♥½ / 3½ out of hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment