23 June 2010

Smile, You Review

Title: Smile, You
AKA: Smile, Smile Honey
Genre: Comedy, Family, Romance
Episodes: 45
Broadcast periode: 2009-Sep to 2010-Mar
Cast: Jung Kyung Ho, Lee Min Jung, Lee Chun Hee, Choi Jung Yoon, Kang Suk Woo,Heo Yoon Jung, Choi Bool Am, Chun Ho Jin and Song Ok Sook.

Being the youngest daughter of the Seo family, Jung In (Lee Min Jung) had been spoilt to the extreme. Her father, Seo Jung Gil (Kang Suk Woo), is a wealthy CEO, had inherited everything he owns from his father. After going bankrupt, Jung In’s groom leaves her due to her situation, leaving her completely humiliated. Raged, she leaves for her chauffeurs, Kang Man Bok (Choi Bool Am), house. Feeling indebted bye Jung In’s grandfather, the one that had hired Kang, he helps her, even though his daughter-in-law opposes. As her son, Kang Hyun Soo (Jung Kyung Ho), returns from America, he tries to connect with his very first crush, Seo Jung Kyung (Choi Jung Yoon), a doctor and fellow school mate, whom he had loved for over 8 years. Seo Jung Kyung on the other hand has a relationship with her director, so she has no interests in Hyun Soo, happens to be the sister of Jung In. Jung In and Hyun Soo meet several times, unfortunately none of them are good, so they end up having a feud.
Much happens and the Seo family ends up having to live with the chauffeur and his family, which consists of the son, Kang Sang Hoon (Chun Ho Jin), the daughter-in-law Baek Geum Ja (Song Ok Sook), and the son Kang Hyun Soo. Matters complicate as the son, Seo Jung Soon (Lee Chun Hee) of the Seo family returns, and crushes the hope of the snobby and wealthy family as he says that he had used all of his assets, gambling. After losing all hope, the Seo family becomes part of the Kang household, and the war between the Seo and Kang family begins..

As I was watching Shining Inheritance I found myself wanting to watch more Korean drama, and I wanted to watch a long one as well (completely different from someone – Jenji). So I searched and found Smile, You. I read the intro of it, and didn’t really like it, but I decided to give it a go – which happened to be a smart move. I loved Smile, You. Most Korean-comedy’s are funny at the beginning, but end up being sad, and loooong. The thing about Smile, You is that when you begin, you can’t stop, and the as you think its cant go funnier than this, it exceeds your expectations and make you fall down your chair! The love story isn’t bad either. I have very few dramas that make my stomach go “wrrruuuh”. When that happens, I become hyper and fall in love myself. The family fued and the moral/living difference are amazingly done, and I tend to go, “are there REALLY so snobby people in the world?” and “are they really OKAY with living sooo poorly?”. BUT! All in all, a great watch!

☆☆☆☆½ / 4,5 out of 5 stars

♥♥♥♥½ / 4½ out of 5 hearts

Jenji's verdict
I never ever thought I would watch a long drama, and yes I know there are longer dramas, but this is seriously very long for me. But it was surprisingly really good! I had never expected it would be this way. When it comes to these genres it might even be better than the "short" ones. Because its a comedy its more relaxing when there are many episodes and you dont have to "try to figure out what is gonna happen in this and this episode" because it is so long! Just sit back and enjoy! It is actually really sweet and I loved how it, like Bunji said, kept those moments. It didnt fade out, even when things got serious. Actually, near the end, I was thinking I might not like the drama if it ends the way it looked like it would, but they also managed to close it up pretty nicely. I'm thinking it must be hard to end a long drama, what is a satisfying ending? It's a drama for those who want to watch a drama for fun and entertainment without having to worry about anything, just to watch.


☆☆☆☆ / 4 out of 5 stars

♥♥♥♥ / 4 out of 5 hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment