27 May 2012

Nazotoki wa Dinner no Ato de Review

Title: Nazotoki wa Dinner no Ato de
AKA: After dinner
Genre: Mystery, comedy
Episodes: 10 + SP
Broadcast period: 2011-Oct to 2011-Dec
Cast: Sakurai Sho, Kitagawa Keiko, Nomaguchi Toru and Shiina Kippei.

Being the only daughter of the mega corp. Hosho group, Hosho Reika (Kitagawa Reika) grew up spoiled and naïve, but that didn’t keep her from becoming a detective. When her butler from 25 years retires, a new one is given her: Kageyama (Sakurai Sho), who is somewhat different than her last one. When her annoying boss, heir to a small company who thinks he’s all that, Kazamatsuri Kyoichiro (Shiina Kippei), tries to solve a case and ends up with ridiculous scenarios, Reiko feels at loss. At dinner time she grumbles about the case and tells Kageyama about it, which ends up with Kageyama calling her a daft. Pouting she tells him that he is fired, but when he explains the he has figured it out, she swallows her pride and lets him stay. They end up solving cases together…

I had high expectations for this drama, mainly because of Sakurai Sho and Kitagawa Keiko as the leads, and it did start out funny and interesting, but I felt like the seriousness of this drama was nowhere to be seen. The balance between seriousness and comedy is really badly made, so I became confused. Through the entire drama you watch the same scenes, just differently set up, and not to mention let down of a climax. It’s funny no doubt about that, but I was freaking bored, even though I’m a huge fan of detective dramas! Really! Sho and Keiko were amazing in it, even though I found it lame, they were brilliant. And I have to admit, I’ve never really liked the entire butler-heiress coupling, but somehow, I really wanted them to have ‘those’ scenes together. There were NONE! Seriously in this drama I only liked the 5min intro and the 5 min endings, because of these two. Like the entire rest, 35min to be exact useless…
But don’t let the rating ruin your view, give it a chance, it’s just I’m not that fond of blank and repeat humor.

☆☆½ / 2½ out of 5 stars

♥♥♥ / 3 out of 5 hearts

Jenji's verdict
A quite fun drama, it was easy to watch and a bit fun. Not that long either, so it's not a problem watching. I enjoyed watching it from time to time, not something I finished in one go. It was my "break-drama", watched it when I needed a break from serious dramas. And again it was so japanese with the rich boss but the even richer detective, like a wanna-be drama which will never happen, just something to dream of but at the same time making fun of the idea. The detective part I totally didnt get sometimes, either it was really complicated and I'm not that smart, or it was just really exaggerated and didnt make any sense. And everytime Sho said "..aho desu-ka?" I felt like it was directed to me lol. Its really not a must but if you like Sho or Keiko go ahead and watch it, not that bad.

☆☆ / 3 out of 5 stars

♥♥♥ / 3 out of 5 hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment