29 March 2020

The Player

Title: The Player
AKA: Hustle
Genre: Action, Crime, Revenge
Episodes: 14
Broadcast period: 2018-Sep to 2018-Nov
Cast: Song Seung Hun, Krystal Jung, Lee Si Un, Tae Won Suk and Kim Won Hae

Kang Ha Ri (Song Seung Hun) is a talented swindler/conman, with a very high success rate. Together with
Im Byung Min (Lee Si Un), a genius, but socially awkward, hacker, and Do Jin Woong (Tae Won Suk), a former fighter, they steal from the rich criminals and share the money with each other. They befriend Cha Ah Ryung (Krystal Jung) a car thief and exceptional driver, to join them in their thievery. This is noticed by Prosecutor Jang In Kyu (Kim Won Ha), who was supposed to catch them, but after dealing with corruption and lackluster chain of command, he decides to make a deal with the group: help him catch the corrupt and wealthy, and they can keep the money.
Though they join hands, Ha Ri has a different agenda: he wants to uncover a cover-up, that ended up with the death of someone close to him. And to do that he is willing to even sacrifice his past life and newly created relationships…

Truthfully, I might have had too high expectations on this one. The thought of a “robin hood”-esque group kicking butt, made me very intrigued, and usually I would love these plots. But this one was rather boring. I love OCN, but this was simply a miss - not because the plot is bad, or the acting is bad, but I just was not excited for (almost) anything in it. The revenge plot was cliché, the side stories were too common, and the ending typical. To top it off, it has con jobs in it, which is my least favorite theme. Though I fell for the group of 5 people and I watched mainly because of that, I have to say it really didn’t leave a good impression on me.
So, to sum up: not my cup of tea. Though I think people who like swindler plots would enjoy this very much.

☆☆☆½ / 3½ out of 5 stars

♥♥♥ / 3 out of 5 hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment