09 February 2014

No Breathing Movie Review

Title: No Breathing
Genre: drama, comedy, sports, romance
Origin: South Korea
Release date: October 30. 2013
Cast: Seo In Guk, Lee Jong Suk, Kwon Yuri, Shin Min Chul, Kim Jae Young, Park Chul Min, Park Jung Chul, Sunwoo Jae Deok, Ah Young . . .

Jo Won Il (Seo In Guk) is the lazy student who get's caught drinking and is eventually thrown out of school after several other issues. He ends up going to a school where he joins the swimming team, only because he has no other choice. Jo Won Il is the son of a famous swimming champion but he stopped swimming when both his parents passed away. At the same time as Jo Won Il transfers schools, another guy, Jung Woo Sang (Lee Jong Suk), a national swimmer arrives. The two dont exactly get along well, especially not when Jung Woo Sang recognizes Jo Won Il back from the time when he was still competing, and was beat by him.

This movie is so fresh and funny. Especially Seo In Guk. So many funny scenes and the movie is on the ligther note even though it is some serious stuff. However.. here it comes.. I am getting a bit tired of Lee Jong Suk and the roles he is playing. It seems to always be the same. The same feel to it. Nothing new or fresh about him. Either he only gets offered those kinds or roles or he just cant break that character. So Im glad that Seo In Guk made the whole thing so much funnier. A great movie. Made me wanna go out and swim lol. The love story as well is so light and not burdensome. I enjoyed it and I recommend it!

☆☆☆☆½ / 4½ out of 5 stars

♥♥♥♥ / 4 out of 5 hearts

Buni's Verdict
Hmm, when I read Jenij’s review I had expectations (for some reason I always have and never learn) for this to be at least a daebak kind of movie, but yeah, didn’t happen. I can’t say it is bad just kind of boring. YES, it does have funny moments, and all that friendship building, but the script was lame so was the way of writing these characters.  I though both Seo In Gook and Lee Jong Suk were awesome (and Yuri useless - and unnecessary), but kind of can’t save a dead fish. Maybe I have a hard time comparing this kind of movie since I have watched dramas where swimming was more interesting, even exciting (hint: Umizaru), but I used about 4 hours to watch this because I kept pausing it to watch something else.
Yes my rating is high, and that is because the last approx. 30 min of it was good, or at least more interesting than the rest. I’m not saying the movie is bad, just lacking!
Summing up, and okay movie.

☆☆☆½ / 3½ out of 5 stars

♥♥♥½ / 3½ out of 5 hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment