01 December 2011

Scent of a Woman Review

Title: Scent of a Woman
Genre: Romance
Episodes: 16
Broadcast period: 2011-Jul to 2011-Sep
Cast: Kim Sun Ah, Lee Dong Wook, Uhm Ki Joon and Seo Hyo Rim.

Lee Yeon Jae (Kim Sun Ah) has a lousy job where her boss keeps harassing her and everyone takes her for granted, mainly by giving her all the work. 10 years she has had the job, but hasn’t complained, since she needs the job and by saving money, bits by bits, in hopes that one day she can get married, move into a house with a yard and have children. Her father died of cancer when she was young, so she is left with mother, which also a reason for her not is being able to actually start dating someone. Her life is turned upside down, when she goes to the hospital and meets her elementary school classmate Chae Eun Suk (Uhm Ki Joon), who at first ignores her, because she kept reminding him of his past. He finds out that she is terminally ill, and that she roughly has 6 months to live. Scared and angered she leaves the hospital, refusing to get treatment, as she is reminded of her father’s days with cancer, and as she arrives at the office only to be angered even more, when an incident that had occurred earlier with a missing ring, whom she had been accused of stealing by a powerful woman Im Se Kyung (Seo Hyo Rim), gets heated up in the office. She decides to quit her job, and take a vacation, using the money she had saved over the years.
In Okinawa, Japan, she by accident meets Kang Ji Wook (Lee Dong Wook), the general manager of the same company, and whom she has had a crush on for a very long time. The two spend a lot of time together, only to be ruined by Ji Wooks fiancé, who is no other than Se Kyung.
When Yeon Jae returns to Korea, she decides to make a list, of the thing she wants to do before she dies, but as it turns out she has already set things around her in motion, not to mention a man’s heart and a woman’s jealousy.

One of the year’s best Korean, no out of all, drama. I, like many others, watch drama because of Idols or actors that are beyond popular (Jang Geun Suk, Hyun Bin etc). When I saw this drama I didn’t really think of it, didn’t really read the plot, nor did I recognize the cast. While watching Running Man (Korean varity show) a guest named Kim Sun Ah was starring and they talked about her new drama. I really liked her in My Name is Kim Sam Soon/My Lovely Kim Sam Soon, so I hurried and read the plot, and had to download it! While watching, and this has only happened once while watching MARS, I couldn’t stop, heck I prioritized the drama over my sleep! It was even a school day :P
It’s a bit of a grown up drama, like My Lovely Kim Sam Soon and Can You Hear My Heart, but that doesn’t make it any less of a drama. I totally recommend this to those who like heartfelt and mature dramas.

☆☆☆☆ / 4 out of 5 stars

♥♥♥♥½ / 4½ out of 5 hearts

Jenji's verdict
Really really nice drama, I really liked this, new kind of plot. It was fresh because I hadnt watched anything like this. And it's one of those dramas where you are just crying, and it's those problems you cant do anything about! So its like, you're helpless and you can only cry .. really tough. But then again, it's so cool, I dont really have words, it was really amazing to think about the "situation", and actually imagine, what it would be like. Really interesting drama, and as Bunji often told me, very grown-up. But I have to warn you, there's a lot of crying. But definitely recommend it.The actors too are fine, my first time watching Kim Sun Ah, and Lee Dong Wook as well I think, and it was really fine. 

☆☆☆☆ / 4 out of 5 stars

♥♥♥♥ / 4 out of 5 hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment